A delicate, fluffy orange chiffon cake that springs back when pressed.
Steps for making 6/8in
Oranges – Orange slices x 4, Water 7.1 oz, Sugar 1.2 oz
Cake – Eggs x 4, Sugar 1.2 oz, Orange juice 1.2 oz, Corn oil 1.2 oz, Low gluten flour 2.5 oz, Orange peel crumbs x 1
Oranges – Orange slices x 6, Water 8.8 oz, Sugar 1.2 oz
Cake – Eggs x 6, Sugar 1.9 oz, Orange juice 2 oz, Corn oil 1.9 oz, Low gluten flour 3.7 oz, Orange peel crumbs 3 out of 2.
1. Wash and slice the oranges, add the water and sugar and cook together for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Remove from the oven, drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
3. Take one orange and rub the peel shavings and 1.3 oz of orange juice, add the corn oil and mix together well.
4. Add the sifted low gluten flour and mix according to Z.
5. Separate the eggs, add the yolks to the batter and mix well.
6. Beat the egg whites with the sugar until they form small sharp corners.
7. Add one-third of the meringue to the egg yolk batter and mix well. Pour the batter into the meringue and mix well.
8. Place the drained oranges in the bottom of the mould, pour the batter in and lightly shake out the bubbles.
9. Place in preheated oven at 150°C for 40 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and lightly shake the baking tray and place on a cooling rack, do not turn upside down, upside down oranges tend to flatten the body of the cake.
Leave to cool before removing from the oven and turning over so that the oranges are face up.